The Book Thief and Other Reading Adventures

I am remiss in not discussing this book right away.
It is quite simply on of those books that just take your breath away. I enjoy the macabre of the grim reaper narration, the German perspective of WWII and the heartbreak of the human condition.
This book is a treasure.
Do your self a favor and enjoy it.

I am also dabbling further into my food knowledge with the following books:
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

I am learning so much about agriculture, where our food comes from and better ways to eat.
I won't bore you with the politics, but I will say this. It is astounding what little we know about what we eat.
I am curious and ready to learn more.

I am also profoundly fascinated by The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua. 
This autobiographical book discusses a Chinese-American mother's journey of raising two daughters under strict Chinese culture parenting. At times shocking and funny. It definitely opens up a discussion about our permissive culture today.
This book generated a ton of press last week and got me thinking about my own upbringing and my parent's and friend's ever evolving parenting styles. I am not embarrassed to say that I come form a line of pseudo-Tiger Mothers. College is not an option!
And of course: I pre-ordered the Pioneer Woman's love story, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. Which she started on her blog and now is a book describing her hilarious and touching city girl transformation to a ranch wife.
Why? Because we love the Pioneer Woman. Amen.

What books are you reading?

0 comments:

Post a Comment